Monday, August 24, 2009

Golliwogs!

When I make reference to how cute Golliwogs look in various random conversations, people would usually respond by giving me a blank face, with absolutely NO clue about what I am rattling about.

For instance, I had this great idea to dress up as a golliwog last halloween, crazy hair, extremely dark fake tan and a red lipsticks, and was really excited to execute the golliwog plan, only to learn that I was better off conversing to myself. Tsk!

Seriously, doesn't everyone grow up with Enid Blyton and her extensive collection of books?
Come on, take a good hard look at the pictures, I am almost certain that Golliwog appeared quite a bit in Noddy's adventures!
Perhaps you were too absorbed with the adventures that Noddy and Big ears were embarking on, that you would fail to notice everything else?
Gosh!
Now take a good hard look at everything else but Noddy and Big ears - you hear me?






Looking at these pictures reminds me of my days in Primary school, especially the map depicting Noddy town! It shows where everyone lives (or so i imagined!)

Signing up as a school Librarian to fulfill my Extra curriculum quota, I spent a good part of my time over at the Enid Blyton corner of the library, to read my time away, until my duty time was over.
I wasn't skiving ! I would painstakingly arrange the Noddy books in accordance to the various collection, and their numbering order.
---
In my attempts to secure pictures for this post, I was disappointed to find out that Golliwogs have been replaced by white elves in recent publications, due to racist accusations arising from dumb sensitive twits.
What exactly has the world evolved into, that even naive little children's books has to be embroiled in racist and sexist accusations?
I am flabbergasted to see that Golliwogs is now a racist term.
How can something so cutesy evolve into an insult?
Baffling indeed.