Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Colour blind discoveries


Some time back, BD showed me a particular website that had horrible colour choice displayed across the site, and I exclaimed: "I swear the web designer must be color blind".

It was a horrible clash of varying shades of blue splashed across the website.
Gosh! It hurt my eye just observing the colours, and I was taking a dig at the web designers for his horrible choice of clashing blues.

--

During lunch time chatters today, I was curious to know if it is possible for web designers to be colour blind, and I decided to ask the colleagues on their thoughts on colour blind web designers (and if it is even remotely possible) - since they're mostly in the trade.... they should know best, right?

Apparently, it is possible to be colour blind, AND still be a web designer, but it is definitely not advisable.

Following that, Jhene then shared with us an interesting trivia - that only men are colour blind. Hmmmm.. is that really so?

Being ever the curious kitty I am,
I did some post lunch search, and what Jhene said was half true.

Colour blind traits occurs predominantly in male, of which 5-8% of men in the world are colourblind, while only 0.5% of women are found to inherit the trait.
Colour deficiencies are always inherited from the mother, and females rarely suffer from colour deficiency.

Other interesting colour impaired facts that I discovered along the way are....
Only less than 1% of the population sees in black and white vision, while the prevalent colour deficiencies usually centers around green and red.

A colour impaired friend once shared with me about viewing colours from his perspective, and to my discovery, he actually views red as brown.

I am most surprised to find out that colour-blindness is apparently a carry over of the survival/hunting trait of a primal hunter, which is probably why colour blind is predominant in men.

Animal camouflauge are designed to mimic the patterns of plants, instead of the colour - the colour impaired hunter is able to spot the hidden prey amongst the plants easily, as the colour of the animal does not blend with the surrounding, even if the patterns do.

Therefore in World War II, colourblind men were sent on special missions, due to their decreased ability to see green, which in turn increased their ability to see through and detect camouflage.

How cool is that?

*Not to worry if you are unable to decipher the mosaic picture on the top of my post. Only people with red-green deficiencies would be able to read the mosaic picture as the number 5.

Majority of the normal, and those with total color blindness would not be able to read the numeral.
I found a few Colour Blind test, and you could give this one a try!
Have fun!