Sunday, March 18, 2012

St Patricks Day!

17 March! It's St Patricks Day!
It's a day that is widely linked to Guinness for me, because it is probably the only time and way that I'll ever celebrate the occasion in full glory the Irish way!
Woots!

Look at this picture! Used to be my Facebook profile picture for awhile.
I took this when I had short hair! (2007 - 2008 I think?)
It was one of those picture that I took after working for the Saint Patricks event.
I love the leprechaun hairband so much that I've kept it all these years!


Vintage pictures aside, here is some St Patricks trivia!
Ok the geeklet in me is out again...


The color green, the shamrock and leprechauns are widely associated with St Patricks day.


Shamrock: 
Shamrock, also known as the little clover, is believed to represent rebirth and life because of its color green.
It was also believed to be a sacred plant to avert evil spirits.
The 3 leaves of a Shamrock was a representation of the Irish's celtic mythology, representing
Past, present and future -
Love, valor and wit
Faith, hope and charity

Most importantly, it represented the link between the people of Ireland, their Celtic beliefs and their acceptance of Christianity.
This is where Saint Patrick illustrated many instances of Christianity concepts for the Irish people to comprehend and embrace Christianity.

Leprechaun
The Leprechauns, are elusive, merry little creatures who enjoys merry feasting and are often drunk.
They apparently possess the ability to produce a pot of gold, and is largely linked with Irish folklore.
In Harry Potter, the gold that they produced are also known as fool's gold.
The Leprechaun gold would lose its magical properties and disappear after a couple of hours, and only the goblins are able to tell the difference between the Leprechaun galleon, and the real Galleon.

Saint Patricks Day
The first Saint Patricks Day was celebrated in the United States, as the Irish immigrants gathered and marched down the streets in an attempt to reconnect with their heritage, and it later became a part of the Irish tradition in 1903 to celebrate every 17 March.

---

Ok back to my usual bimbotic post,
I worked sometime last week because some @#*!% bailed out on me.
This sparkly starry effect is also my new favourite filter!



17 March was also the Guinness Live Finals, planned in conjunction with St Patricks day at St James.
It was like World War Three!
Mad Crowded can?!


The only chance I had time to take pictures today, was when everything settled down.

I discovered the secret to looking young!
Just make sure the light source comes from the bottom!
Look so young and fat!

I shifted away from the bottom light source and instantly look older.
Blah!


I then dropped by Boat Quay after I was done with St James madness.
I was famished, I ate enough for 2, and spent an entire hour eating up everything I ordered.

That's when we met Jesscia the Collie!
According to Elizabeth, her Irish owner claims that the dog is a Guinness dog.
Firstly, she's black and white, secondly she loves drinking Guinness, but E would not dare to confirm by feeding the dog, even though the owner said it's ok to do so?
The owner also tied a Shamrock ribbon on her collar.
Awwww....The cutie pie is also super well behaved.

1. She wasn't leashed and is free to roam.
2. She runs back when her owner whistles - she roamed like 2 streets away ok!
3. She's dressed in a green ribbon for the occasion.

Only down side?
She's not a photo friendly dog.
I squatted there for the longest time for princess to take pictures with me, and she just wasn't interested.
She preferred the rice that Elizabeth and Claud fed her instead.

:(

Here's me laughing in my usual siao char bor (crazy girl) laugh while waiting for the dog to be photo cooperative.

Drinking makes her hungry too, (I guess), coz the dog just kept eating the plain rice.
I managed to get a vaguely decent picture though...
but you can hardly call that a chummy friends picture.
Wehhh....


I went home to dress up my photo friendly Trixie.
Yay! So much more cooperative after lots of cajoling and threats from me.
Hahaha.

Here we go!
My little furry Leprechaun!
Her chest fur made her look like she's got a very wise beard/goatee.


She just looks cute in this shot, so whatever, post up.


Here's one of me in my beloved hairband, compliments from Guinness.


That's about all.
Another round of celebration calls tomorrow, and it'll mark the closing of the St Pat's craze.
Good night.