Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Aspirin Face scrub



I've read raving reviews about using Aspirin mask and the glowing wonders it does for the skin.

Fortunately for me, I decided on the Aspirin Scrub, instead of a mask or toner or Blah...other skin infusing methods.

Being the curious kitty I usually am, I couldn't resist trying it out.
I bought my freaking box of uncoated Aspirin from Guardian Pharmacy at 11.30pm at night.
I love Holland Village for that. Yay!
I bought a box of 24 tablets for roughly $6

Based on all the googling I did, Asprin contains a chemical known as Acetylsalicylic Acid. Of which, Salicylic is an important key ingredient present in many skin care products - known mainly for the use against Acne, dandruff, as it has anti inflammatory properties.
It also helps to exfoliate - therefore it unclogs the pores and rids the skin of excess sebums / blackheads.

However, Aspirin does has its known side effects, and therefore I WOULD NOT advise anyone to pick up the drug the way I did and due-ly use them without reading up on its possible side effects and allergies symptoms etc..
Just GOOGLE Aspirin Side Effects, and you could possibly entertain yourself on its adverse effects of internal bleeding, how it is not suitable for humans below 18 years old, for pregnant ladies and other health related issue for a moment's folly of vanity's sake.
I will not be held responsible for any side effects or deaths you get from trying this Aspirin adventure.

So anyway,
I did the gungho deed, despite reading (yeah, I'm one of those really optimistic people who believe in enjoying now and worry about the effects later... ) and added water and 2 tablets of Aspirin to be used as a scrub for the face.

The Aspirin dissolved into a white pulp when it contacted water.
I tried to exercise care in scrubbing gently, as the dissolved bits were rather rough.

Wow wee!
After a quick scrub, the pores looked cleaner, with special emphasis on the T Zone (sorry no pictorial evidence but the black heads were really visibly cleared off)

And already I was calculating how often I should attempt my little aspirin facial and my new found potion to awesome skin.
Happy like a bird.

Unfortunately, I did not react very well to mediation, and after about an hour, I felt rather light headed.
Oops.

Apparently, I also found out that medication can be absorbed into our bloodstream when applied on the skin. So I guess 2 dosage of Aspirin is too much for me, even if it was a "Touch and rinse" affair?

I wasn't in any major discomfort, merely light headed and rather thirsty.
I chugged down some water and gave up on the novel that I was rather absorbed in, and called it a night.
I woke up happy the next day, with unclogged pores to boot.

Apparently some girl said she puked after her Aspirin mask.
Oh well, thankfully my supper remained in my system.

I told a few people about my Aspirin adventures and so far.....
X somewhat chided me about being so silly to be fiddling with medications, after hearing my story, and C said that she's going to give it a try anyway (despite my warnings of possibly discomfort)
and A who was present when I bought the Aspirin was skeptical about it being an awesome skin food.
I doubt i'll get my mommy to try out this one, despite its awesome effects, since the Madam is vunerable to bouts of nausea for no apparent reasons.

As for me, I think I might reduce the dosage to a quarter pill, should I decide to give the aspirin scrub a second try.
I'm just awesomely thankful that I didnt attempt to apply the Aspirin on my face and let it seep for prolonged hours.

Hello dangerously awesome skin.

Oh and for goodness sake, after you're done with the scrub, slather on some moisturizer.
If the Aspirin's good enough to eradicate even the toughest blackhead from within the pore, your skin obviously needs as much hydration as you have to offer.
Dont be an idiot.