Saturday, November 24, 2012

Make up hauls

I realized that I am alot more excitable about Black Friday 2012, as compared to 2011's.
Looking at my previous post It's almost as if i'm Bi-polar!

I didnt buy as much as I've anticipated.
Would have love to camp at home in the comfort of my pajammies, hiding from the cold pouring rain and all. But nope!

Busy busy busy!
Braved the rain, went out and saved the wallet!
I ended up buying stuff from Luxola because they were on 30% discount, and a couple of dresses on threadtheory - their clearance stuff happened to be the stuff I didn't mind buying from a long time ago, other wise, i'll usually not harp too much on clearance clothes (on account of sizing and color availability issues)

Since the start of Autumn/fall, I've sort of lost interest in clothes, and have been focusing on the face.
Buying up stuff like face mask, special miracle creams and now Make up palettes!

I've been contemplating about Urban Decay's NAKED PALETTE 1 for the longest time
But the last time I wanted to purchase it, Sephora was totally out of stock.
Just look at it!


So pretty! Velvet cover with gold prints.
It reminds me of a box of chocolate!
Opening up to look at the hues of brown doesn't help much either!
Rwar!



However, I settled for Too Faced's Naked eyes from Sephora instead.
Good thing is, their packaging is pretty irresistible as well. But the naked eye palette is completely naked, if you asked me, nothing like what the NAKED PALETTE would produce for the siren smoky eyes look
(well it would not make sense to buy 2 palettes for the same purpose right?)

So I thought I would purchase this set for my day look, and the NAKED PALETTE for the night look when the new stock arrives.
Well, I've never gotten about to buying it.
Hahah.

A year later, After gouging a hole off the Naked eyes palette, I decided that it's about time I embark on the pursuit of the naked palette again.

Here's how my naked eyes look before I started using them. :D




My personal favourite would be "Like a virgin".
I use it to create my daytime "smoky" look eyes, and the "birthday suit" is for the literally naked eye look, with just a layer of shimmer over the eyes.
I call them my daily staples.
It's autopilot application for me with this palette.
I realized that my make up techniques varies on the products that I'm using, so for as long as the Naked eye would exist as my favorite, I'm going to look the same every single day.
Wahahaha.

Ok back to the palette "In the buff" is a matte white color, and "pink cheeks" is a powery nude shade of pink good for highlighting purposes for the nose and cheeks on days where I feel vainer, and "satin sheets" is a golden rose tinge of shimmer that I mostly use of the inner corner of my eyes, because it makes me look yellower than I really need to if I use it wholesale without blending.

"Stiletto" is a matte shade of black, while "Lap Dance" is a shimmery shade of greyish purple. I would usually pair these 2 together for my night look, and occasionally dabble with "Unmentionables" a shade of semi matte gun metal grey just to work a dirtier look for a change.

I'll usually lug this set along with me, whenever I travel, just because it's versatile enough to bring me from day to night!

I'll do swatches another day for this, together with the new Sleek palettes, just for comparison sake ok!

---
I spoke to my 2 main make up gurus Audrey and Valda, and they gave me mixed reviews about the NAKED PALETTE.
Sure, we all love it, but when you look at the price and do a comparison with other available options....
It might not be quite the case.
Well, I was lucky that the day I met Valda, it was after her make up assignment.
She had this luggage full of makeup loots for me to check out for curiosity's sake!

Her top recommendation to me, would be Sleek's range.
High pigment, sleek packaging, blends really well and most importantly, it doesn't cake.
I dabbled with her eyeshadow palette, headed over to Sephora to test out the Naked Palette from Urban Decay, and decided that perhaps the Naked Palette is overated.

Okay, I admit that I'm still highly attracted to their very pretty packaging of rich velvet brown exterior casing, and the multitude of brown hues that reminds me of how yummy chocolates could be!
but! but! but!

I'm a good girl.
I bought like 4 items (with the help of the black friday deals) from Luxola, and still managed to beat the price of the NAKED PALETTE's retailling price.
It's such a steal, how can anyone resist? (I'm also very very glad that my pile of work has indirectly averted my attempts at the purchases )
Woo~

I was so excited, I actually called Valda to ask her if she's buying anything from the Black Friday sale.
Lol. She wasn't quite as excited, since her new purchases were just days before the Black Friday sale.
Oh well.


I'm pleased for sure!
Palette colors are supposed to look like this!
Sleek's Sunset palette looks mightily exciting!
I'm hoping that it would be my alternative to a more colourful day look, and definitely very useful for the approaching spring summer. My 2 favourite seasons of the year!


There's the Sleek Au Natural palette to reduce my Naked Palette itch. 
These look yummy enough too, for a fraction of the price.
Lalala..
I've just got to wait for Wednesday for my new toys to arrive. 
Can't wait!



Signing off now for the comforts of the bed.

xo,
Daphne the face paint lover.