Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Bye Granny

Granny passed away on 12 February, Saturday.
Mommy woke me up with news that she is critically ill.
Naturally, everyone rushed to the hospital.
We barely stepped into the room - the doctors pronounced her dead at 12.55am.


The wailing and tears was inevitable, but I am relieved that her suffering has finally eneded.



In the past 2 year,s my granny is just like a sleeping beauty.
Sleeping helplessly, unable to wake, talk or eat.
She suffers from bedsores and swelling from her "sleep" ailment
That was how she led her life.


It hurts me to see her in her unconscious state, and how her face swelled from water retention, how her body would shrink, as her muscles contract from immobility.
Everytime I see her, a part of me dies.


I've traded new year celebrations for mourning.
I've got nothing against mourning. 
I grief for the loss of my grandmother, but there are so many rules to adhere to.
It's driving me nuts. 


There's the frumpy dressing rule, the vegetarian rule, the no jewelleries, no nail polish rule, and many more.
Well luckily, no one said anything about my hair. Coz i'll be absolutely pissed, if i gotta cover my hair with black dye.




The funeral is pretty grand and all, with alot joss sticks, and sitting down.
Sister was falling asleep alot during the rituals, while we were kneeling down when the busload of people from the temple was chanting.


I couldn't understand what they were chanting, despite the fact that I was holding the scripture book.
There was alot of bowing to do, and to the point where we did not know when to stop.
It was quite funny on hindsight.



Tomorrow would be the last night of the wake, and Wed would be the day for cremation. 


It's finally gonna be over, and everyone would be able to rest properly. 



This entire funeral experience is good for the family. There is the bonding and relationship that we've rebuilt, you know, relationship that has waned over the years, and so it's pretty obvious that we're pretty close knitted now.



But for the next 49 days or so, i'm gonna feel like im some kind of plague. 
Mom say that i won't be welcomed at anyone's house, neither would I be able to visit anyone over at the hospital, or celebrations. 


It's a shitty feeling.

I did not get to celebrate Valentines day, not that I do anyway.