Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Just because I dont wear Tee shirts in public...

I received a Tee shirt during one of Zouk's 20/20 anniversary celebration.
The Mambo Jambo Tee in White.

Well the print of the tee is kinda cute, and I've also got some major attachments to Mambo Jambo (it's officially my 10th year since I first entered Zouk!)

The problem is Mademoiselle here, doesn't wear unisex Tee shirt much - unless I absolutely have to...like for work related purpose/event or that you're about to pay me $1000 bucks to wear it out.
Otherwise, Tee shirts will not be a free will matter.

Looking at the sad fate of the Zouk tee, it is either
1) going to be Pajamas,
2) go under the knife and become something else with the possibility of becoming a scrappy, as with some of my other failed experiments..

Since I was in my "creative" streak last month, I decided that the Tee would have to undergo reconstruction surgery!

From looking like this
(okay mine's in white, and I didn't take a "BEFORE" picture of it, since I was like raring to  slice it up - we'd have to settle for what ever I could get from Google)
and I made it into THIS! Ta dah!
So pretty right?
I offically called it my Limited edition, Mambo Jambo dress, Since there's only like 1 of its kind in the entire singapore. Lalalala...

Here's what I did:

1) I chopped away the sleeves
2) Cut away the neckline
3) Added shoulder straps - which in turn girli-fy the Tee, and the other purpose was to shift the hem length lower to my bottom hip area.
4) Added the "skirt" layer to further lengthen it into a dress.

As for my choice of fabric for the shoulder strap + skirt area, the fabrics were wholly scavenged from scrap fabrics available in my Fabric stash (Yes, I happen to be somewhat a fabric hoarder)

Here's how the dress look, when worn!




I'm pondering if I should add another layer on the skirt layer to make the dress silhouette alittle more poof - as supported with my "hourglass" proportion theory from my previous entry
But I'm feeling LAZY at the moment, sooooo Nope.
Not for now.

I've chose to contrast the dress with the color Navy, because
1) it matches the Navy outlines of the print, and to create a softer contrast as opposed to using a harsh black.
2) While using white will make the dress look boring, and somewhat create a very chaste feel - which is very IRONIC for a zouk tee right?
3) I am also quite autocratic when it comes to the usage and matching of colors. 
They have to be the same family!
You cant wear Yellow, Red and Green in an outfit, coz you'll look like a clown! (think yellow pants, red top, green socks or something like that!)
The unstated rule of wearing different shades of black together, or white/white or denim/denim together for that matter - is just wrong as well!! 
Faux paus to the max, and prolly only rare people like Galliano can pull off.
4) And in this case, using black would just mean I have zero eye for detail!
I insist!




Speaking of detail..... 
I am rather pleased to announce that I've managed to preserve the Zouk logo printed at the back of the tee that was previously supposed to sit at the shoulder!
It is barely visible when worn tho. :(
I'm sorry, but you'll need a mirror to read the word "zouk" in the picture..


While posting this entry, I have a sudden inspiration to turn a Tee into a toga tunic dress.
Problem is - I dont have pretty Tee to work on at the moment.
How Ironic eh?

I shall end off this entry with a random smiley picture of myself!


ok byes!