Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dogs and Wolf Behaviors

It all started with Trixie, that got me reading up on Dogs, and now Wolves and their behavior traits - to help understand the insecurities that Trixie is facing, and for me to understand why she's acting like that.
Okay, the geeklet in me just wants to know - because I dont do mediocre when it comes to something I own.

It's either better than average or awesome knowledge - coz I dont like people telling me what to do, unless I ask, or deem them in a better authority/ more experienced than me.
#FeministPride.
*thumbs chest*

with the exception of maths and numbers ok?
Lol.

Dogs and wolves aren't too far apart, as they share common ancestry which in turn - shares common behavioral traits.
Uh.. I dont want to rattle too much about this bit.
Very sciencey and DNAish.
*yawns*
So anyway, our dogs are domesticated - and so many forums out there with people sharing their "true stories and plenty of advise" - truth be told - I got bored reading up on that portion already.

So reading into the primal ancestry seemed a little more exciting to me now.
Everyone's got a dog - only a few people's got a wolf right?
Yay!
So lesser you-know-its spamming on forums and websites.

Wolf reading is pretty much an interesting insight to me, but too long winded to share.

Some snippets relating to Trixie and her separation anxiety howling:

Wolves howl for several reasons, when lost - they howl to relocate with their pack as every wolf has its own voice characteristics.
They would also howl when they are in distress.

I'm still trying to figure out if Trixie thinks she's lost at home, or that i'm lost out of home - which is why she howls like mad whenever she's home alone.
There is not need for distress in the place she camps out at day and night right?
That's not quite the main reason, i'm just sprouting nonsense here..
if dog psych was this easy - my dog would be sleeping, not yelling whenever I leave home.
---

On why our body language speaks alot more than the "stupid" commands that we conditioned them to learn.

The alpha wolf is the "leader" of the pack.
It leads the wolf pack in a hunt, determine where the pack is to sleep, when to wake up, and also to lead the pack on a defence attack again other dangerous animals


The alpha-ness is displayed in many formats in their world.
Such as the position of their tails, ears and head.
The super subservient ones practically are very loser.
Tail have to hang down, ears have to be flattened, pee have to squat (regardless of gender) head have to bow low.
So loserish. Meh.

Oh and there's also submissive peeing - which is like an apology from the wolf.
Seriously, it wasn't funny, I didn't like having pee all over my foot when she did that with me.

My point is Cesar Milan - the dog whisperer -  always makes dog obedience look super easy and effortless.

Half the time on TV, he talks alot and pose/stand around doing nothing, acting cool, with his "tch" finger prodding action...
Because it was his body language that was communicating with the rebellious dog while to us, he looks exactly like he's doing NOTHING.
That stupid "tch" finger prodding thing DID NOT WORK on my dog leh.
She's not even disturbed by it InRealLife.
#Waste Time.

anyway, back to body language and dominance -
I'm slowing getting the hang of it - actually just tweaking my common reactions to her did the trick.
Just look at the feeding video I took earlier!
*beams*

No need to say anything, it really came quite naturally once I was shown how the feeding is done!
*thumbs chest again with pride*
Lol