Monday, August 29, 2011

Hair food

It has always been a personal habit of mine to "feed" my skin and hair the occasional fruits or drinks to give them a special oomph! that I feel my skin/hair deserves.
It's alot like going on a holiday - try out new places, eat new food, taking a break from routine.

I've tried applying tomato, cucumber years back...
and random one off experiments like washing my hair with copious amount of beer..
applying egg on my face
mayonnaise to soften the elbows
making a lemon sugar scrub to exfoliate my skin bi-weekly for 6 good mths..
honey oat with milk to replace to my lemon sugar scrubs.

Most people including the family would raise an eyebrow and/or drop random comments about my food adventures... you know, mixed reviews.

I do not understand why people have qualms about slathering food onto hair or even face,
When we barely bat an eyelid slathering tons of chemicals on ourselves?

From soap to moisturizer to even sunblock.
These are stuff that we can barely pronounce the names of the chemicals used, and they're supposed to be good for me?

Dimethicone.
Stearoypropyl
Oxymoronic
Amodimethicone

Just listing random chemicals names I took off my from my commercial products.

Peering at the label of my treatment hair masque - out of the 28 ingredients used to produce my commercial hair masque - I barely recognise half of the items placed in it.
I am not a chemical genius - and I have no idea how these chemicals are derived, how it looks like in its original form, or whether it's really good for me.
I do not think any normal consumers would either.

and yet people judge me for applying stuff that I eat onto myself?
I find that highly laughable.

Come on, if it's good enough to be ingested into your system, why isn't it good enough to be applied on?
why snub on natural forms of fix me up, and choose chemically enhanced potions.

Naturally enhanced potions/chemicial/liquids
ARE THEY REALLY BETTER FOR YOU?
Or is that a hoax created for commercial purpose?

Go figure.

All I'm saying is, sometimes its good to take a break from the routine, and try out something new, be it something as mundane as to apply banana puree on my hair just to see where that banana will get my hair to.

It can be rather mentally refreshing too, to break habits.
Gets your creative juices flowing.
Back in design school - I had this lecturer that challenged us to break our routines for a week as a form of mental exercise. I enjoyed that. (more of it later)

So I've decided to puree the banana, add a teaspoon of honey, trickles of tap water - and blended everything up.

My second attempt at banana for the hair in this lifetime.
Must say that the first attempt was terrible, coz I merely mashed the banana up with a fork, instead of puree-ing it, and I suffered terribly for it. Lol.

Had banana bits stuck on my hair, and I had a rough time combing through to remove morsels of banana tangled in my hair.

Attempt #2 is waaaaay better.
The longer you puree it, the easier to wash off.

I started by shampooing the hair.... then proceeded to towel dry the excess water.
Applied my banana puree starting from the hair tips (that's the part that needed the most attention IMHO), slowly working my way up to the roots - since I read that banana is also good for the scalp. Lol.

I wasted my time away sitting in the bathtub.
I contemplated playing Tetris on my phone and decided against, for I remembered my previously drowned blackberry that malfunctioned fro 2 days after I picked up my phone mid shampooing.

Finally settled for a full body scrub with the loofah to kill time + rearrange the bathroom toiletries.
My intention was for the bananas to stay on my head for a full 20 minutes, but my bathroom lacked entertainment.
I washed off in slightly under 15 minutes.

Washing off took a bit of effort, and for good measure, I combed my hair + condition my hair to remove tangles, just to make sure that no banana bits will escape the bathroom and attract ants. Lol.

After lots of staring in the mirror (when hair is dry), the noticeable differences are

1) hair has a slight shine sheen - making it look healthier by 10%
2) the hair tips - being the driest of the driest feels less "pricky" like by a good 10%
3) dragging my fingers through the hair - it met less tangle resistance as compared to how my hair is usually comb unfriendly.

Good enough results for a not so patient daphne.
At least it works for me!

fyi.
Oxymoronic is not a chemical
I added it in for kicks.

---
Back to the break-your-daily-routine challenge I mentioned earlier,
Back in design school- the Guest Lecturer suggested an exercise to encourage us to break away from the usual norms and practices.
Starting with the things you do on daily basis.

It could be something as simple as swapping the sequence of your routine that actually makes a difference in your lifestyle, and awaken your creativity cells.

It could be as ridiculous as to eat your breakfast before brushing your teeth, or
as simple as wearing your shoes.

Do you have a favorite foot when you put on your shoes?
Swap the habit and put on your shoes on the unfavored foot first.

Granted that I always fancy stupid projects like this.
My day gets less boring because I started the day differently.
Lol.