Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Goodbye Pnut

Somewhere early last year, I announced the arrival of 3 baby hamnuts  - Donut, Peanut and Walnut.
Sadly, Donut passed away on Good Friday this year, where I found her laying on her "death bowl", while doing my usual morning rounds of feeding routine.
She had a major tumor growing beneath her, looking somewhat like a mega hamster testicle.. and was looking peaky for the last couple of days, therefore, I was prepared for her death somewhat. 

The more tragic news of the 2, would be Peanut. 
The little hamlet got involved in a freak accident earlier tonight. :(
I was watching the telly just earlier, when we kept hearing perpetual but intermitten squeals - which i dismissed as sibling squabbles between Walnut and Pnut.
It was only when baby prompt me to check on them, that i realized to my horror that Peanut was trapped by the mobile running wheel that came along with the cage. 

The wheel had collapsed on the tiny little body while they were playing around, and hurt the little darling badly that it left her motionless.
Despite freeing her off the ordeal, but it was very obvious that the poor thing's in pain from her occasional squeals of pain whenever her sister tries to groom her (you know, the way animals try to comfort and ease pain.. yeah), and she could not recover back on all fours.  

As she has always been really hyper, the sort of skinny thing that neglects food to climb around and explore nooks and cranny - looking at her laying there motionless with her eyes wide open, it seriously pains me, 

I sought the help of the little brother to transfer her over to the little "ICU tank", that I've always kept for hamster emergencies, and according to the little brother, the lower part of her body was limp and dangly, which meant that she broke her spine or some major bone, and from my visual inspection, there was a major indentation on her lower body, indicating the impacted area - before the 3 of us rushed out over to Mount Pleasant Vet/clinic.

I contemplated the situation during our journey to the Vet, and deep down I already knew what the outcome would be. 

When shit happens to little animals, the usual recommendation would be to put them to sleep, as it is highly impossible to put them through surgery or medication (I've probably mentioned this a million times, whenever the subject relates to a tumorous hamsters and the possibility of putting them through surgery, so I'll spare you the same rattling).

To cut the story short, I made the choice to end Peanut's suffering.
Goodbye little Pnut, I'm really sorry.